Extended Family Recipes

Recipes from our families to yours...

Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
October 08, 2007

My Shepherd's Pie

Recipe from GillianIvy



Just a little something I'm whipping up real quick like. I'm kinda just throwing it together. It's pretty much your basic recipe, only adding pancake mix to the mashed potatoes and using chicken broth instead of milk. Currently, Kevin and I are trying a low/no dairy diet, as we seem to have an intolerance for lactose. I also like using powdered sauce mixes as they are easy and very cheap. A great way to make a real meal with low hassle. I hope you enjoy my simple "Shepherd's Pie" recipe. Cougar first introduced me to Shepherd's Pie. And I loved it. I don't know what her recipe is, but I'm just sort of making this up as I go. So hopefully, it turns out right. Kevin is my guinea pig. ;P Trying to start some new traditions of family recipes, for my new family. I feel like a domestic goddess. Been cooking dinner EVERY day almost. Wow. Really. And it's been somewhat healthy food! Lol! Not just instant this and microwave that. But REAL food. I'm starting to feel like a real mom. And since Chase is starting to eat big people's food, this is very cool.

Shepherd's Pie



  • 2-3 lbs. Ground Beef
  • 1 Chopped Onion (optional, use any vegetable desired or omit)
  • 2-3 large Potatoes, peeled (I'm using a mix of red potatoes and baking, and leaving skin on)
  • 1 can Chicken Broth
  • 1 stick Butter/Margarine
  • 1 cu. Pancake Mix
  • Gravy (sauce mix, I'm using an Au Jus mix)

    1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. Boil Potatoes, drain then mash. Add Chicken Broth and Butter and Pancake Mix until desired consistency.
    3. Brown Ground Beef, drain grease. Add Onion and Gravy Mix, and follow directions for mix.
    4. In a glass 13x9 pan or two 9" pie pans, make a layer of cooked Ground Beef, top with layer of mashed Potato mixture.
    5. Bake at 350° for approx. 35-45 minutes, until top is golden. Best served warm.


    I plan to serve this with Roasted Carrot Spread on French Bread slices. I'm going to cook it up before bed, but eat it for breakfast when I get up. Maybe Kevin will get some before he goes to work, if I get up early enough to make him eat. Otherwise, he'll get it when he gets home. Time for me to get cooking.

    ~Edit 10/09/2007~

    This is so ultra the yummy! Wow, really. The pancake mix (I used Hungry Jack: Buttermilk) gives it a slight sweetness that is the perfect complement with the meat and potatoes and the Au Jus gravy. I didn't add as much water to the gravy, I only used 1 cup, when it called for three. Absolutely delicious. And the Roasted Carrot Spread went with it splendidly. Though it's preparation/cook time took longer than supposed. I roasted it for nearly 2 hours before the carrots were soft enough. I should've cut them down smaller, I suppose. But I followed the directions to a tee. But it was delicious! They have a slight sweetness to them as well, the garlic with the carrots. I rounded off my meal with a slice of Grandma Pat's Apple Pie and a glass of apple cider. I'll see if Grandma Pat will share that recipe. I've invited Great Aunt Dee and Aunt Pat to post recipes here. I would like to see more Clinton recipes posted. This is easy and cheap to make, definitely give it a try!

  • 0 Recipe Feedback:

    Post a Comment

    Tell us what you think of these recipes. If you make a dish, please send a picture to: GillianIvy to see it featured here, or post a link to it here.